If your organization uses social media as a one-sided
conversation, hear this: You may be missing out on a major brand-building opportunity
known as "social listening."
By paying close attention to online reviews and comments, healthcare
providers are discovering ways to engage their consumers more fully - and
improve their patient experience as well.
Gain Fresh Insights to Optimize Your Offerings
For example, when a parent complained online about the
excessive amount of time their child spent in the waiting room before surgery - on top of hours of fasting and rising early - their regional healthcare system heard
The organization's social media team alerted the hospital
executives to the post, so they could personally connect with the family and,
ultimately, review and change their pediatric surgery scheduling practices.
Since investing in a higher level of responding and
reporting, the team has seen year-over-year growth in consumer engagement. That's
what comes of listening.
Don't Have a Social Media Team? Adopt Best Practices.
Hospitals and practices of all sizes rely on social media to
inform their customers and improve perceptions of their brand. But not all have
the resources for a team devoted to social listening. No problem. Your marketing team, large or small, can
create a response protocol:
- Sort complaints and questions into categories.
- Establish pre-set action steps for each category of complaint.
- React immediately to patients still under your care.
- Craft appropriate responses to ensure your patients have a positive experience.
- Respond with honesty to fair criticisms.
- Reach out privately to posters who may have commented in error.
More than Words: Respond by Making a Change
When a consumer complaint raises a real operational issue,
consider going beyond sympathetic phrases to amend the situation. You might:
- Use consumer feedback to improve the quality of care overall and boost patient satisfaction.
- Streamline collaboration between department leaders and liaisons to solve operational or systemic issues.
Benefit from a New Perspective on Your Brand
Social listening helps you better understand your patients'
experiences and the emotions they associate with your brand. With that
knowledge you can:
- Enhance your reputation;
- Improve patient satisfaction;
- Exceed consumer expectations; and
- Grow your market.
CMG Health Marketing can
help you learn more about the benefits of a smart social strategy to increase consumer
engagement. Call us today.